Wednesday, May 12, 2010

6 hours later

Hello New York!

Tired and weary I hopped onto shared shuttle bus into Manhattan. It was fun, I got to enjoy the company of other Australians also excited to see the city.. we bonded over the terrible service and attitude of the driver from Super Shuttle. I thought maybe he was having a bad day... until I caught the same service later in my trip, discovering that ALL Super Shuttle drivers are mean. (on that note - I would highly recommend the services from GOAirlink.. Super Shuttles competitor.. their drivers were great).

Super Shuttle - BAD




GO Airlink - GOOD




So as we were driving we passed beautiful areas, full of lovely hotels, beautiful steps leading to warm and wonderful places of rest... however as we carried along the busy streets I couldn't help but notice the streets starting to look a little less inviting.. then I noticed lots shops with the word 'Harlem' in their title "oh crap" I thought "I hope I'm not staying around here, I'm pretty sure Harlem is a really bad area" then before I knew it the van pulled over and the driver indicated rudely that this was my stop. Brave face. I pulled my 23Kg bag up a flight of stairs only to realise I was at the wrong door. Bummer. Luckily the cleaner took pity on me and let me in. Bless him! I'm not going to lie - I was feeling quite disorientated with lack of sleep and the whole "Am I going to survive in this part of town?" was not helping the situation. I finally found the front desk after having to lug my bags down another flight of stairs (all in front of a watching audience). And then low and behold in walked Kelly Birch! I had no idea how I was going to contact her once in the city so this meeting was AMAZING! She looked as surprised as me, apparently she thought I wasn't arriving till the next day and although she was feeling a lot less awkward than I about the whole 'bad part of town' thing (she is much savvier than I) I think my face was a pleasant surprise.

We checked in and tried to set in for a good sleep... well that was until around 2:30am when a girl woke us all up "I think your in my bed"... in all the excitement of being in a new place we didn't realise that the front desk had booked us into separate rooms.. Kelly's was another two floors up! he he. Oh bless her!

No comments:

Post a Comment