Wednesday, May 12, 2010

New York: First day

Ok here we are in New York - after Kelly's rude awakening at 2:30 in the morning (refer previous post) she moved into her actual room only to find these two lovely ladies! One Parisian called Yasmin (left) and one German Claudia (right).
And me with the lovely ladies on our first day down town.
Claudia was unable to travel home to Germany due to the Volcanic Ash cloud so she had decided to visit NY while on the continent. She needed to find the head office of her airline so off we went of a journey to find the Empire State Building - the home of the airline office...
Through Bryant Park - ooh pretty. And the most amazing public toilets I have ever seen! (these things are important!)
Oh look! That is where we are heading! that building over there!.... (The rest of us were quite dazed and didn't realise that Claudia was actually leading us toward...

The Chrysler Building! Oh. Oh well, this is nice.
I mean just look at the artwork on the ceiling! (if you know me you should know that the Art Deco movement is my absolute favorite! So I was proper chuffed!).. if you didn't know that.. shame on you! :)
I mean look at those elevator doors.. all marble-wonderful!
Some mistakes end with pleasant surprises.
So on we went.. searching for this iconic building.. the one that we were all struggling to remember what it looks like..
Oh there it is!
Now that business was out of the way we could visit another iconic spot - Macy's.. I wasn't overly impressed.. but what did get us all excited was Victoria's Secret.. best underwear shopping of my life. ooh la la! Three floors of the wonder of lace! Divine..
Ok so now that we are on a touristy roll.. lets head right on over the Times Square.
It wasn't really that wonderful during the day - but we had serious business to do...
Find the best and cheapest broadway tickets possible! And quick!
The distractions were plentiful.. like the interesting car parking options - have these people never heard of high rise car parking?? I mean you could fit a heck of a lot more cars on that block with a little more structure .. just putting it out there..
All this ticket searching called for refreshments.. and when I say refreshments I mean the cheapest and greasiest eating option we could find.. ooh and a water bottle that looks just like the Chrysler building!
A quick trip downtown. Squirrel!
Some people have skills, Kelly had a rare skill of not swiping her metro card and coordinating the gate in a fluid motion.. this eventuated in her being trapped on the other side of the gate till her card could be used again. oh poor Kelly! Looks lonely over there!
And finally it was time to see our show - Mary Poppins - Friendly for all language speakers and just a happy go lucky vibe really.
I BELIEVE MARY! Up Up and Awaaayyyyyy!
Beautiful Amsterdam theater...
I nodded off a few times during the performance.. it was great.. I was just so tired after another sleepless night (apparently the corner of our hostel is quite the party corner.. there was a whole bunch of fun lovers hanging out there drinking till 5:30am).
One thing that I did love was that the theater was full of kids, I loved the idea that New Yorker kids are raised with a visit to a broadway show is just a normal part of life. The Dad of the lovely cultured family sitting next to us seemed to not understand the concept of focusing a shot before taking the picture. Fuzzy fun.
And out into the cold we ventured.. so cold in fact that I couldn't get a steady shot. Shiver-me-timbers!
Much more impressive at night..
Steamy..
Pretzel and home again..

No comments:

Post a Comment