Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ok, so this isn't so bad

Amazing thing going to a new country - you feel totally disorientated! Especially from Australia to a big city on your own - its always hard to figure out what is 'OK' and 'safe' or what is totally dangerous.. like staying in Harlem - obviously its a more run down part of town - but just because an area isn't as pretty as you are used to you somehow judge those in the area to be petty thief's or worse - its ridiculous! I found the same thing when I traveled to South Africa - I hate it when I think like this.. but given the new city and my jet lag. It took me a few days to adjust. I started to think "nah, this place is super cruisy. Sure I don't want to catch the subway at midnight on my own but I'm pretty sure this is really safe".. then we came home one night to find the corner of our hostel alive with police presence.. there had been a gang shooting incident and a man killed. Ok so maybe first impressions count. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment